logo 2012
Galerie > Fotoboeken > CREEBRIDGE CARAVAN PARK
fotob-Cree 400

Creebridge Caravan Park (English)

During the Second World War Creebridge Caravan Park in Newton Stewart - Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland was a Prisoners of War Camp (POW). In 1941 the camp is noted as ‘Holm Park Camp, Newton Stewart, camp No.113’. It was in use for Italian prisoners of war. In 1943  the Italians were defeated and surrendered in Italy. The Italian prisoners were repatriated to Italy. The Camp then housed German prisoners of the Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht. After the war in 1945, the camp became a displaced persons (DP) camp for refugees for the Soviets. They came from former Eastern Bloc countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia.

In 1964 the Prisoners of War camp became a campsite. The first owner was Mr.David Baird. Original parts of the Prisoners of War Camp are still visible in 2009. The roads were build by the Italian Prisoners. In concrete we see the name ‘Italy 43’. De tower for the guards is not in use, but is overlooking the campsite. The storage room/garage is an original barrack with the fire buckets in front of it. The house/reception was the prison for violent prisoners. The phone box was formerly the sentry-box and the fundaments of the barracks are in use for the static caravans. The laundry room was build in 1968.

Since 1998 John Sharples is the owner of the campsite and sometimes he meets old prisoners of the barracks. At the reception desk he has a framed photo to show it to people who are interested in the history of the camp site.
 

Creebridge Caravan Park (Nederlands)

Tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog was Creebridge Caravan Park in Newton Stewart - Dumfries & Galloway - Schotland een krijgsgevangenenkamp. Tot 1943 was dit kamp bedoeld voor Italiaanse krijgsgevangenen en daarna voor krijgsgevangenen van de Duitse Luftwaffe en Wehrmacht. Na de Tweede Wereldoorlog was het ingericht voor vluchtelingen (voor de Sovjets) uit landen als Polen en het voormalige Tsjecho-Slowakije.

In 1964 is dit terrein ingericht als camping door Mr. David Baird. Delen van het krijgsgevangenkamp zijn nog steeds zichtbaar in 2009. De wegen zijn gebouwd door de Italiaanse gevangenen. In het beton staat ‘Italy 43’ gekrast. De wachttoren is niet meer in gebruik, de opslagruimte is een originele barak.  De brandweeremmers stammen uit 1941. De receptie was van oorsprong de gevangenis en de telefooncel was vroeger het schildwachtershuisje. De stacaravans staan nu op de funderingen van de originele barakken. Het toiletgedeelte is in 1968 gebouwd.

Sinds 1998 is John Sharples de eigenaar van de camping en soms ontmoet hij nog voormalige bewoners. In de receptie heeft hij een oude ingelijste foto liggen voor mensen die in de historie geďnteresseerd zijn.


U kunt het gehele boek bekijken en rechtstreeks bestellen.

In 2009 zijn vier foto’s uit deze reportage opgenomen in het fotoboek ‘BMK, 50 jaar springlevend’.


Boekenoverzicht
 

fotografie
inleiding
uitgeverij
publicatie
pagina’s
foto’s
formaat
uitvoering
prijs
bestellen

Armando Jongejan
Armando Jongejan
Blurb
2009
40
17
18 x 18 cm
paperback, gebonden met en zonder stofomslag
afhankelijk van uitvoering
printing on demand

Special thanks to John Sharples, owner of Creebridge Caravan Park
Source: Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS)

gesponsord door orphic film© all rights reserved